Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Bohol’ Category

Tubigon Presidencia

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Posted in Bohol, City and Municipal Halls | Leave a Comment »

Tubigon Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

The church is follows the basilical plan of a central nave with aisles, however, it has a transept, and crossing is covered by an octagonal cupola. The church fabric shows a mixture of materials, the upper part of the wall and most of the façade is concrete, however, the lower part is of rubble bound by lime mortar. Metal sheet are also used in the upper section of the nave. Jose (2001, 100) opines that these modern material were applied between 1928 and 1934, when the bell tower was made.

The nave is covered with metal ceiling decorated by Ray Francia from Cebu, his signature is found over the gospel or left transept. With Canuto Avila, Francia was commissioned by the Cebu bishops to paint the churches of Bohol in the 1920s and 30s. These paintings were mostly derived from holy pictures and illustrations from catechism and Bible histories.

At the exterior of the gospel flank, the mortar has been exposed to reveal the presence of stout posts or haligi that support the church’s roof. These posts are embedded in the mortar of the church fabric.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches | Leave a Comment »

Calape Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Calape church is a good example how colonial styles persisted even if the Spaniards who promoted them had already left. Jose (2001, 34) describes the church as the “epitome of Bohol Gothic.” All of the structure is basically a lintel and post type, gothic features like lancet arches, rose window, spires and crockets are merely decorative. The pediment has a rose window although it functions as an ornament rather than a real opening to the church interior. A typical Bohol feature, but definitely not gothic, is the portico built in front of the façade, an extension of the choir loft. Gothicizing elements are found in the interior on the altars and event the confessionals. The transept is an addition to the original plan and is rather narrow. The church is attributed to two builders, Eliseo Josol y Villamayor and Rosalio Real y Oppus, were said to have been shown a picture of the Santo Domingo church in Intramuros, which they used as a model.

A historic bell dated 1690 and dedicated to St. John the Baptist by Bachiller Juan Alfonso Ruiz, is found in the bell tower. This bell came from the defunct Parian parish in Cebu, ordered dissolved, resulting in the demolition of the church in 1878-79.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches | Leave a Comment »

Calape Municipal Building

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Posted in Bohol, City and Municipal Halls | Leave a Comment »

Loon Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Nuestra Señora de la Luz Parish
The present town of Loon is located on a plateau about a fifty meters or more above the shore level. The older town of Loon, located at the shore was established by the Jesuits in 1753. The Recollects who took charge of the town in 1768 transferred it to its present site.

In 1853, they began building what is easily the most beautiful of the 19th century churches in Bohol. Designed by the Domingo Escondrillas, a government engineer, the church is a triple-naved structure made of finely cut coral. The central nave is separated from the laterals by stout piers of cut coral.

Heritage features: The central portion of the church facade surges forward giving it a dynamism more akin to Baroque than the Neoclassical style prevalent during this period. Delicately though inaccurately carved acanthus decorate the capitals of the twined columns of the facade. Between the twined columns are plaques incised with Biblical texts and dedicatory phrases. The facade’s balanced composition is completed by twin towers that flank it.

The church’s Neoclassical main altar fills the whole breadth of the sanctuary. Relief roundels portraying the life of the Virgin Mary flank the main niche where an image of the patroness is displayed. Devotion to the Virgin under the title Our Lady of Light or Kasilak in Visayan traces to 18th century Palermo where a vision of the Virgin rescuing souls from the maws of hell was reported. The church of Cainta in Rizal province, Luzon is also dedicated to Our Lady of Light. In the Bicol Region, this image of Mary is known as Consolación.

The convento built at the same time as the church is now a school.

To connect the older townsite with the newer, the Recollects built a wide flight of stairs, protected near the topmost landing by a watchtower, now in disrepair.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches | 1 Comment »

Maribojoc Presidencia

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Posted in Bohol, City and Municipal Halls | Leave a Comment »

Maribojoc Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Santa Cruz Parish
Maribojoc began as a Jesuit mission in the 18th century. The Jesuits built a temporary church which the Recollects replaced with the present structure by 1886.

Heritage Features: Unlike other churches, the convento of Maribojoc is located behind the church rather than at its side. This gives the convento an unobstructed view of the sea, especially from the balcony that runs the length of the convento. The convento is approached through the sacristy and is a continuation of it. Above the sacristy is a room which has been converted to the Maribojoc museum.

The church is planned as cruciform. Its façade is plain, decorated by thin pilasters and niches with images of saints. The interior comes as a surprise because of the three Neogothic altars in the church. The traceries and finials of gilded hardwood are delicately carved. The main altar has an image of the Blessed Trinity and bas relieves of the life of Mary Magdalene. The church ceiling is made of metal and painted with catechetical and liturgical motifs

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches | 3 Comments »

Bohol Capitol

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

The Provincial Capitol bears traces of an older building, the casa real, built during Spanish times.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Provincial Capitols | 4 Comments »

Baclayon Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Inmaculada Concepción Parish

The mission of Baclayon was established by two Jesuits Juan de Torres and Gabriel Sanchez who arrived in Bohol on 17 November 1596. They came from Cebu. Torres reports that he could not find a decent place to celebrate Mass, there wasn’t even a servicable table in the dwelling they stayed in. The Jesuit convinced the inhabitants to build a church, which they accomplished in no time. This was most likely a bamboo and thatch church.

Baclayon served at one time as the residentia or center of the Bohol missions, where the superior resided. Baclayon was one of two towns that did not join the Diwata revolt (1621), remaining steadfast in the Christian faith.

Despite claims that the present stone church in Baclayon is the oldest in the Philippines, evidence places the construction of the church to 1727. The belief that the church was built in 1595 may have come because of a 19th century report by the Recollects that the mission was founded in 1595; but the same report lists two other dates 1593 and 1594. The date 1595 inscribed on the church façade is a later addition.

The adjoining but separate tower may have been started by the Jesuits, but it was completed during the administration of the Recollects, ca. 1777 as a stone inscription on the tower indicates. The inscription was recently defaced. The church complex was fortified with a wall built by the Jesuits. The walls’ coral stones were used by the Recollects when they built a new wing of the convento in 1872.

Heritage Features: The church has two facades: an inner one which is Classical in inspiration, and outer one built in the 19th century by the Recollects is a portico decorated by three arches. The addition of porticoes to the façade seems to have been a style prevalent in Bohol and Cebu during the 19th century. Porticoes are found in Loay, Loboc, Cortes churches in Bohol, and Talisay, Recolletos, in Cebu.

The green and gilded altars are the focal point of the interior. They are exuberant versions of Baroque popular during the 18th century. Although the main retablo displays saints of Recollect devotion, the retablo itself traces to the Jesuits whose emblem and motto “Ad majorem Dei gloriam” surmounts the main altar. In the nave are found two benches carved in low relief. One features genre scenes: a goat tied to a tree, a coconut, nipa grove, and a man in stocks. A painting of the Ascension, Church Fathers and San Vicente Ferrer are found in the nave. These date to the 19th century.

The church had a pipe organ installed in the 1800s but now in disrepair. The choir and organ loft are decorated with cut out designs. The painting on the stucco finish of the church is of recent vintage (1996) and does not conform to the style and period of the interior.

Behind the church and convento are remnants of a fortification. Oral lore identifies some structures as horse stables, a kitchen, and a jail.

Baclayon started the trend in Bohol of establishing parish museums. The amount of liturgical material preserved in Baclayon is impressive. The church inventory books have helped in dating some pieces. In Baclayon cantorals (large handwritten music books) was found the Misa Baclayana, a musical setting for the Mass which has been revived and is part of the repertoire of the Loboc Children’s choir. Permission from the parish is needed to see the museum, which is generally locked for security reasons.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches, National Historical Landmarks | 1 Comment »

Alburquerque Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006


Sta. Monica Parish

Boholanos call the town “Albu.” Located along the highway is the church complex built on a low knoll. The Albu parish was established in 1869 after being separated from Baclayon. An 1886 reports indicates that the church was built of light materials, however, the convento described as “de grandes dimensiones” was already standing. This way made of rubble, wood and tabique.

The date of the construction of the church is uncertain, although, the generous use of reinforced concrete for the façade and the bell tower (which is integrated into the façade) indicates that the church was either being built or renovated in the 20th century. The church interior has been renovated. The large convento to the side of the church is connected by a bridge to the church. The whole complex is harmonized by a series of arches that link church, bridge and convento.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Bohol, Churches | 2 Comments »

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 48 other followers