Baluarte de San Diego (Intramuros, Manila)
Posted by admin on January 2, 2007
Designed and built by Jesuit priest Antonio Sedeno from 1586 to 1587, it is one of the oldest stone fortifications in Intramuros. Began as a circular fort called Nuestra Senora de Guia. Renovated in 1593 to join the walls of the city. Fort fell in disrepair and, in 1644, construction began for a new baluarte which was completed between 1653 and 1663. Resembling an ace of spades, it housed a foundry during the 18th century.
The baluarte was breached by British forces with cannon fire in 1762. Restored and strengthened after the British occupation but was damaged during the 1863 earthquake. It was destroyed during the Battler of Manila in 1945. Restoration began in 1979 and completed in 1992. (Intramuros Administration)