Roxas City Watertank
Posted by admin on September 26, 2007
The whitewashed museum building in Roxas City, Capiz, once a circular water tank, is a good example of intelligent architectural reuse. Built in 1910, it provided water to the Kapisnon during the dry months. Water flowed from the roof of the two-story municipal building to the tank. The municipio was destroyed during World War II, but the water tank was spared. After the War, offices were built around the tank completely hiding it from view. In 1993, the offices were demolished and the water tank was seen. The old water tank looked quite imposing, like a lady, grown serene, strong yet gracious and to demolish it would be like cutting the umbilical cord to the past. However, the water tank had outlived its usefulness as Roxas City had a new water system. The city government and other citizens came up with the idea of converting it into the Roxas City Museum. Panublion, a Hiligaynon term meaning guardian of precious things is the official name of the museum.