Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Cebu’ Category

Fuente Osmeña (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 14, 2008

Named after Pres. Sergio Osmeña, Fuente Osmeña is a fountain and park inside a rotunda along Jones Ave. and General Maxilom Ave. (Mango Ave.) The Osmeña Residence is near the park. It is presently occupied by CAP (College Assistance Plan).

Posted in Cebu, Fountains, Parks | 3 Comments »

Jose Rizal Library (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

José Rizal Memorial Library now also a museum is a Neo-renaissance building along Don Gil Garcia, the continuation of Jones Ave. A graceful staircase leads from the street to the second story where the main hall of the building is located.

Posted in Cebu, Government Buildings, Museums and Libraries | 6 Comments »

Cebu Capitol

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

The Cebu Capitol, built in 1937 during the incumbency of Gov. Sotero Cabahug, is the terminus of Jones Ave. Strategically located at the foot of a hill, the graceful capitol commands a dramatic setting. Classic elements contribute to the sedate beauty of the structure. Its concave facade links two wings of the capitol forming a u-shaped plan. The facade leads to a tall foyer capped by a dome. Inside the dome is painted the history of Cebu. The foyer leads to the wings on either side. The Cebu Capitol is easily one of the more beautiful civic buildings built during the American colonial period. (Panublion)

Posted in Cebu, Government Buildings, Provincial Capitols | Leave a Comment »

Casa Gorordo (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Casa Gorordo, built in the mid-19th century, was bought by Juan Isidro de Gorordo in 1863. Now under the Aboitiz Foundation, the house has been restored and outfitted as a house museum that showcases the elegant lifestyle at the turn of the century.

The house’s lower floor or zaguan, which traditionally served as a storage space, now houses the offices of the house museum, a small store and an area for art exhibitions. It is built of bituka tabliya (coral stone blocks) and roofed with tile. It has all the typical features of a bahay na bato (balay nga bato): wooden upper story, ventanillas, sliding capiz windows, etc. The second story is furnished with antique furniture and has a collection of costumes, books and memorabilia from the past. Worth noting is the master’s bedroom which displays a collection of sayas. A room in the residence was outfitted to become a chapel because a scion of the Gorordos, Juan (1862-1934), became first Filipino bishop of Cebu (1910-32). The bishop would use the chapel whenever he visited home. The chapel displays a pasyon manuscript in Cebuano. Another item in the house collection is an antique nativity set.

The dining room of the house is separated from the landing or caida and living room by an arch ornately carved with plants and birds. The kitchen at the end of the dining room or comedor is typical of the period. Atypical is the wide balcony or azotea, that runs the whole length of the dining room and kitchen. A trellis supports a bougainvillea plant, that is so large it is almost a tree.

The garden has been landscaped and a new service building, inspired by 19th century architecture, has been built beside Casa Gorordo. (Panublion)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Cebu, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Prudential Bank & Trust Co. (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Located at the corner of Magallanes and D.Jakosalem Streets in Cebu City, right at the back of the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño is the Prudential Bank and Trust Company building, now occupied by the Bank of the Philippine Islands.

Early 1900s photos at the Santo Niño Museum show this building being occupied by Singer before it became a bank. (Arnold Carl)

Posted in Cebu, Commercial Buildings | 1 Comment »

San Diego-Yap House (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Built during the late 17th century by the Chinese merchants residing in Pari-an. This was the house of Maria, Eleuterio, and Consolacion Yap. The eldest daughter, Maria Yap, later on married to Don Mariano Sandiego, a Cabeza de Barangay of Parian late 1880’s. At present, this ancestral house is in the custody of Mr. & Mrs. Val Sandiego. This house is currently undergoing renovation and outfitting for a museum. (Arnold Carl)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Cebu | 12 Comments »

Archbishop’s Residence (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Located at D. Jakosalem street, the Archbishop’s Palace of Cebu was constructed in 1953 during the incumbency of Julio Cardinal Rosales, the second Archbishop and the first Cardinal-Archbishop of the Metropolitan See of Cebu, and the 25th residential bishop of Cebu since 1595. The facade has elements of both Baroque and Romanesque styles.

The original Arzobispado was an oversized Bahay-na-Bato which was once located across the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral. However, it was damaged during World War II and another building now stands on its very site.

A few walks away from the Arzobispado is the Shrine of Blessed Pedro Calungsod.

Pope John Paul II was a guest in this house during his pastoral journey to the Philippines in the early 80s. President Ramon Magsaysay also made a stopover in its chapel to pray before flying in an airplane that crashed in Mt. Manunggal.
(Arnold Carl)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Cebu, Religious Houses and Institutions | 2 Comments »

Bantayan Church

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Posted in Cebu, Churches | 2 Comments »

Bank of the Philippine Islands (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Photo taken by Arnold Carl Sancover

Posted in Cebu, Commercial Buildings, National Historical Landmarks | 7 Comments »

Compania Maritima (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Posted in Cebu, Commercial Buildings, Industrial Heritage | 21 Comments »