Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Churches’ Category

Anini-y Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Anini-y has the only preserved colonial church in Antique.  This gem of a church is the third built in the town.  The first was probably built by Fray Hipólito Casiano, between 1630 and 38.  The church whose foundations still exist measured 33 x 13 meters.  A second church of much greater length but narrower at 48 x 12.5 meters was constructed close to the earlier church.  Work began around 1845.  Fray Vaquerín was responsible for completing the present complex, the convento in 1879 and the church, except for the arco toral, was almost completed when the Augustinian left. Vaquer�n’s church measured 65 x 16 meters, and had a height of 10 meters.

The convento was almost totally demolished during the world war, but the Mill Hill priest Fr. William Erickweld preserved the ruins while building a modern convento beside it.  In 1973, the church roof and back wall were damaged by a typhoon, but Fr. Erickweld took pains to restore the church.

The church belongs to 19th century revivalist styles, incorporating traditional elements from the Baroque like the triangular pediment, supported by a single story, divided into there sections by engaged pilaster.  Between the central pilasters is the arched entrance to this single-naved church, pleasingly decorated by rosettes.  Flanking the entrance are expanses of wall decorated by niches above, which are rose windows.  The pediment is likewise ornamented with a niche and flanking blind occuli.  The facade comes to an end in stout pilasters ornamented above with finials.  The three-story bell tower is attached to the church; its lowest floor is quadrilateral while the upper floors are hexagonal.  Arched windows pierce the tower and a domical roof crowns the whole structure. (Panublion)

Advertisements

Posted in Antique, Churches | 1 Comment »

Jaro Cathedral

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Sta. Isabel de Hungria Cathedral
Although the Cathedral is presently named after St. Elizabeth, the patroness of Jaro is Candelaria, whose feast is celebrated on 2 February. The first church and convento of Jaro was built at Alanga. Frs. Francisco de Santa Maria Oliva and Francisco Ramirez laid out new plans for the town and built the parochial buildings, however, they were destroyed when the Dutch attacked on 12 October 1614. Fr. Pedro del Castillo built a new and stronger church and convento (1639-44). The building were damaged by a typhoon around 1686. After a series of slave raids, the town, devastated by the attacks, was transferred to its present site between 1722-44. Fr. Juan Aguado built a church and convento which were damaged by an 1824 earthquake. Fr. José Alvarez restored the church, tower and convento from 1833-35, setting up a brick kiln on the church site for this purpose. Fr. Francisco Aguería drew up plans for a new church, gathered material, had bricks baked and lumber procured from Negros and Iloilo. In 1865, the Augustinians handed over the parish to become the episcopal see of Jaro, Bp. Cuartero implemented Fr. Aguería’s plan. The church was damaged by the earthquake of 1848; of the bell tower all but the first floor remained. Damaged by war, the church was repaired and renovated. The façade was renovated during the Papal visit of John Paul II in 1971, with the addition of a balcony above the main door.

Galende claims that only the remaining portion of the tower and the church plans can be attributed to the Augustinians. Early 20th century photographs show a squat church with a wide central nave and lateral aisles built lower than the nave. From a triangular pediment curved lines link the laterals with the main section of the façade. Pilasters decorate the façade, pairs of them flanking the arched portal. The church has a similar silouhette to Guimbal. The bell tower is separated from the church, in a manner reminiscent of Ilocos churches. The three story structure had a ribbed dome roof, its lower floor was quadrilateral decorated by a clustering of pilasters at the corners. The upper floors also quadrilaterals have truncated corners. Similar clustering of pilasters decorate these higher registers. Oculi, circular and arch windows pierce the stone and brick wall of the tower. Restored recently using reinforced concrete with a brick facing, the present tower departs from the older plan by being more slender and simplifying the ribbed dome. (Panublion)

Posted in Churches, Iloilo | Leave a Comment »

Dingle Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Dingle Church was built in 1874 using yellowish limestone in Neoclassic Architecture. The details of the facade share some similarities with the facades of Lambunao and Duenas Churches. The sole belfry seems to be a mere example of ‘Vulgar Gothic’ which is somewhat a pleasant departure from the Neoclassic wholeness brought by the facade.

Dingle, which was then called Baong was once a visita of Pototan and became an independent parish in 1611. Though the church is not as large as compared to the huge churches of Molo and Cabatuan, it boasts a clean and preserved elegance which matches the calmness and tranquility of the town. (Gian Alvarez)

Posted in Churches, Iloilo | Leave a Comment »

Cabatuan Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

San Nicolás de Tolentino Parish
A visita as early as 1719, Cabatuan became a parish 1732, under the advocacy San Nicolás. A church and convento was probably built at the foundation of the parish. But the present church traces to the efforts of Fr. Ramón Alquezar who was named prior in 1833. He remained in Cabatuan until 1865. Another author claims that he died on 22 September 1863, at any rate, the church was completed by Fr. Manuel Ruiz in 1866; restored and decorated by Fr. Manuel Gutierrez. Fr. Juan Porras built the convento in 1876.

Heritage Features: This capacious single nave church is a good example of Neoclassical architecture in its severest form. Except for rectangular carved plaques, the façade’s main decorations are twinned Tuscan pilasters alternating with plain walls pierced by fenestration’s or niches. The flanking bell towers are wide, squat and massive. This impression is reinforced by the dome covering the bell tower. (Panublion)

Posted in Churches, Iloilo | 7 Comments »

Dupax del Sur Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Parish Church of San Vicente de Ferrer in Dupax del Sur is the best-preserved church complex in Nueva Vizcaya. It was built during the second half of the 18th century, under the Dominicans. The baptistry and narthex are converted with carved stucco – work possibly unmatched elsewhere in the Philippines. The convento still preserves slits on the outer walls for archers to fire their arrows against raiders. (NCCA)

Posted in Churches, National Cultural Treasures, Nueva Vizcaya | 25 Comments »

Pan-ay Church

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Capiz, Churches, National Cultural Treasures, National Historical Landmarks | 2 Comments »

Sta. Barbara Church

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Churches, Iloilo, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Navalas Church (Buenavista)

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Churches, Guimaras | 1 Comment »

Boac Cathedral

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

This cathedral is a mere 10-minute walk from Boac town proper. It was built in 1756 in honor of the Blessed Virgin of Biglang Awa (Immediate Succor). It was here where Filipinos and Spaniards took refuge from pirate attacks. The architecture is Filipino-Hispanic Gothic with much of the original structure – the façade the main body, the belfry, and the altar – faithfully preserved. Stained glass windows, though a later addition, adorn the walls and enhance the age-old beauty of the church.

Posted in Churches, Marinduque | 3 Comments »

Puerto Princesa Cathedral

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

In 1872, a Spanish expedition proclaimed the Immaculate Conception of Mary as the patroness of Puerto Princesa. On that same year, the first mass was celebrated in the same place where the present cathedral now stands. It was almost a century later in 1961 under the late Bishop Gregorio Espiga that the cathedral was built. Its angular structure, different from most churches, provides visitors an interesting glimpse of unconventional religious edifice.

It is located in Barangay Liwanag, Rizal Avenue, Puerto Princesa City, between 5-10 minutes from the city proper. Take a public utility vehicle and ask to be let off in front of the church located midtown.

Posted in Churches, Palawan | 2 Comments »