Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Fortifications’ Category

Fort San Andres (Romblon)

Posted by admin on August 1, 2008

For more information on Romblon, read Romblon, Romblon is a heritage town.

Advertisements

Posted in Fortifications, Romblon | 5 Comments »

Fort Pikit

Posted by admin on January 14, 2008

Posted in Cotabato, Fortifications | 1 Comment »

Plaza Cuartel (Puerto Princesa)

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Former site of a Japanese garrison, it is a few yards from the Immaculate Concepcion Cathedral. 143 American soldiers were burned inside a tunnel during the World War II. It serves as a Memorial Park in honor of local heroes, and American soldiers.

Posted in Fortifications, Palawan | 2 Comments »

Puerta de Isabel II (Intramuros, Manila)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Posted in Fortifications, Historic Town Centers, Metro Manila | Leave a Comment »

Puerta Real (Intramuros, Manila)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Puerta Real was the royal gate that was reserved for stately processions, and a section of Intramuros’ moss-covered walls.

Posted in Fortifications, Historic Town Centers, Metro Manila | 19 Comments »

Baluarte de San Diego (Intramuros, Manila)

Posted by admin on January 2, 2007

Designed and built by Jesuit priest Antonio Sedeno from 1586 to 1587, it is one of the oldest stone fortifications in Intramuros. Began as a circular fort called Nuestra Senora de Guia. Renovated in 1593 to join the walls of the city. Fort fell in disrepair and, in 1644, construction began for a new baluarte which was completed between 1653 and 1663. Resembling an ace of spades, it housed a foundry during the 18th century.

The baluarte was breached by British forces with cannon fire in 1762. Restored and strengthened after the British occupation but was damaged during the 1863 earthquake. It was destroyed during the Battler of Manila in 1945. Restoration began in 1979 and completed in 1992.  (Intramuros Administration)

Posted in Fortifications, Historic Town Centers, Metro Manila | 23 Comments »

Fort Pilar (Zamboanga City)

Posted by admin on August 7, 2006

The fort was built on June 23, 1635 by Father Melchor de Vera, a Jesuit Priest-Engineer, to ward off attacks from the moros and foreign invaders. Originally named the Real Fuerza de San Jose, it was renamed after it was rebuilt in 1719. The Real Fuerza de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza, whose statue was embossed on the east wall in 1734 as a frontpiece atop the entrance, was eventually sealed when it became a shrine.

Posted in Fortifications, National Cultural Treasures, Zamboanga City | 2 Comments »

Fort Santiago (Intramuros, Manila)

Posted by admin on July 29, 2006

Posted in Fortifications, Historic Town Centers, Metro Manila | 1 Comment »

Laoag Cathedral Belfry

Posted by admin on July 29, 2006

Posted in Churches, Fortifications, Ilocos Norte | Leave a Comment »

Dumaguete Cathedral Belfry

Posted by admin on July 28, 2006

The Dumaguete Belfry along Perdices Street (formerly Alfonso XIII Street) was used as a watchtower during the 19th Century to warn the inhabitants (by ringing the bells) of the then small fishing village of impending raids by marauding pirates from the south of the islands. From its top can be seen the island of Mindanao on the horizon (now obscured by trees and buildings).These raids were so rampant in the area during those times that this little fishing village came to be known as “Dumagit” or “Dagit” which means “kidnap” in the local Cebuano language. The Spanish authorities later adopted and restructured or “hispanized” the name to “Dumaguete”.

Submitted by Dindo Generoso
Overseas Filipino Council

Posted in Churches, Fortifications, Negros Oriental | 4 Comments »