Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Negros Occidental’ Category

San Carlos Central School

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

The San Carlos Central School in Negros Occidental is now the Cong. Vicente Gustile Sr. Memorial School, named after the father of the city charter. (Noel Mondragon)

Posted in Gabaldon Schoolhouses, Negros Occidental | 1 Comment »

Angel Araneta Ledesma House (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 28, 2006

(Plaridel St., Silay City, Negros Occidental)

Built in 1933, currently owned by the City Government of Silay and used as the cultural and tourism office.

Submitted by Maritel Ledesma

Posted in Ancestral Houses, National Heritage Houses, Negros Occidental | 5 Comments »

Vicente Conlu Montelibano House (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Probably built at the turn of the century , the whitewashed bahay na bato is simple in its lines and in plan. The house has an excellent collection of antique furnishing. Entrance to the house is by appointment only.

Posted in Ancestral Houses, National Heritage Houses, Negros Occidental | Leave a Comment »

Maria Ledesma Golez House (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Purchased by the Silay Branch of Republic Commercial Banking Corporation in 1992, the house was restored and was ready for occupancy by 1993. The house is an excellent example of architectural reuse. The lower floor of the house which was rented out to shops has been renovated to house a bank. The bank’s interior, though new, is done in a style consonant to the general design of the house.

Heritage Features: The residence is planned as a town house which combines living space on the upper floor with commercial spaces on the lower floor. Art Deco elements, especially in the archways, and the corner entrance and Classical motifs;masques and caryatid and lion heads decorate the house.

Posted in Ancestral Houses, National Heritage Houses, Negros Occidental | 1 Comment »

Rizal Street (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Historic Town Centers, National Heritage Houses, National Historical Landmarks, Negros Occidental, Streets | 20 Comments »

Silay Church

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Ruins of Spanish colonial church built of rubble and coral stand beside the present church. The old church was ruined by fire in 1926 but instead of rebuilding the damaged structure, the present church was built perpendicular to the ruins in the 1930s. Designed by an Italian architect named Verasconi, the church was almost totally funded by the Ledesma family.

Heritage Features: The church is an interpretation of Romanesque and Renaissance designs. The prominent Roman arch of the façade is Romanesque, however, the twin bell towers and the dome over the transept crossing is Renaissance. The single-nave, cruciform church is flanked by aisles separated from the nave by a colonnade. Varnished hardwood altars decorate the interior. Floral elements decorate the reredos which are a harmonious blending of arches and niches.

Posted in Churches, Historic Town Centers, National Historical Landmarks, Negros Occidental | 2 Comments »

Bernardino Lopez Jalandoni House (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Posted in Ancestral Houses, National Heritage Houses, Negros Occidental | 3 Comments »

Bacolod Cathedral

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

The present cathedral of San Sebastian in Bacolod was built from 1876-85. Although the parish of Bacolod was established in 1788 and placed under the secular clergy, Bacolod had no resident priest and so in 1790 was placed under the parish of Bago, then at a later date under Binalbagan. On 11 February 1802, Fr. Eusebio Laurencio became acting parish priest of Bacolod. In September 1806, Fr. Leon Pedro was appointed interim parish priest and the following year became regular parish priest. The parish church at this time was a simple structure of nipa, hardwood and amacan or woven bamboo.

In September 1817, Fr. Julian Gonzaga was appointed parish priest. He encouraged migration to Bacolod and the opening of lands to agriculture and industry. He built a church of wood, nipa, and metal roofing at a site west of the present church. Beginning in 1825, Gonzaga started gathering coral stone from Guimaras to build a stone church, spending most of his annual stipend of 900 pesos to pay for the stones. Gonzaga was unable to fulfill his dream as he died in 1836.

In 1871, administration of Bacolod was turned over to the Augustinian Recollects. Fray Mauricio Ferrero, first Recollect parish priest of Bacolod and successor to the secular priest, Fr. Mariano Avila, commenced building in 1876. The corner stone was laid on 27 April. Ferrero was not just architect of the church and parish residence, he was also employed by government in designing and constructing a jail. In exchange for his services, Gov. Ramon Pastor assigned prison labor to the construction of the church. The church was dedicated on 19 January 1882; however, its twin bell towers of wood and metal were not finished until 1885. That same year Jose Ruiz de Luzurriaga donated a clock for the right tower, the choir loft was completed, and a Schmidt and Zeigler Remscheid pipe organ was installed.

In 1932, Bacolod was raised to the status of a diocese with a jurisdiction comprising the island of Negros, after being under the Cebu diocese until 1860 and Jaro from that year. The church became a cathedral and the convento became the bishop’s house.

The church was church renovated in 1969. Its deteriorated bell towers, deemed a public hazard, were replaced by cement structures under the supervision of the cathedral rector, Fr. Antonio Santes. That same year, the pipe organ was removed, so was the silver altar and the ceiling paintings by Don Isidro Maria Lago, a painter in the Royal court.

The adjacent convento was begun on 21 May 1891 and completed in May 1894. Bricks from Silay and coral stones left over from the church’s construction were used. The convento had a hardwood floor and a roof of metal sheets. The convento, now the bishop’s house, was partially damaged by a fire in 1985, which also damaged the diocesan archives housed in the Chancery office.

Heritage features:

The coral stone church, now covered with a thin layer of cement, is classical in temper. The slender bell towers flanking the façade give an eastern European look to the church. The entrance to the church is through a portico composed of three arches of equal dimensions. Flanking the main door is a statue of the church builder Fr. Ferrero. The church interior is simple and chaste, its pleasing appearance comes about because of the pleasing modulation of arches and pillars rather than ornamentation. This feeling is accentuated by the unadorned gray faux vault, minus the figures painted by Lago.

In the church yard is a bell donated by Fr. Julian Gonzaga which was removed from belfry in 1976 during the centennial celebration of the church.

The convento beside the church, is a typical bahay na bato. Its reconstruction after the 1985 fire restored the wooden upper story of the structure.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Churches, Negros Occidental | Leave a Comment »

Negros Occidental Capitol

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Three blocks north of the cathedral, bound by Gatuslao and Lacson Streets is the provincial capitol complex. This consists of the capitol building and an artificial lagoon in a spacious park, in front of it. The capitol was built from 1924-35, following the Beaux Art style favored by the city planner Daniel Burnham, who came to the Philippines early in the century upon the invitation of William Cameron Forbes, appointed as governor general in 1904. Burnham recommended William Parsons as consulting architect for the Philippine government. Parson arrived in 1905 and organized the architectural office of the Bureau of Public works in which were employed American and Filipino architects, including Tomas Bautista Mapua, Juan Nakpil, Juan de Guzman Arellano. The Bureau favored the Neoclassic style for government buildings setting a pattern for many provincial capitols.

Heritage features: The Bacolod Provincial is planned as an E. The central section is marked by a three story colonnade crowned by Corinthian capitals. From this central portion wings run parallel and come to a stop at wings built perpendicular to the central structure. Entrance to the capitol is through wide stairs equal in length to the colonnade. Three entrances lead to the central lobby. Directly in front twin staircases in tropical hardwood lead to the main session hall of the building on the second floor. Long corridors to either side of the lobby lead to the wings flanked by office spaces.

From the second floor secluded and narrow flights of stairs lead to an upper gallery (corresponding to the attic in the Neoclassical design) from which visitors could watch the proceedings of the provincial council.

Sculptures decorating the capitol and the adjacent lagoon are attributed to Guillermo Tolentino, national artist for sculpture.

In 1993, a new capitol was built at an adjacent lot. The governor’s office was transferred to the new building and the central part of the capitol given to the judiciary. Since the construction of a new hall of justice, the central portion of the capitol has been transformed into the Negros Museum.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in National Historical Landmarks, Negros Occidental, Provincial Capitols | 1 Comment »

Victor Fernandez Gaston House (Silay City)

Posted by admin on July 27, 2006

Built 1897, the Balay Negrense is the restored residence of Victor F. Gaston, son of Yves Leopold Germaine Gaston. Left unused by the family and after becoming among other things, a dance studio, the house deteriorated until a group from Silay decided to restore the house. By the time restoration began, parts of the house had fallen and its furnishings dispersed.

Heritage Features: The house is a later and more airy version of the bahay na bato. The first floor, raised from the damp earth is pierced by windows that make the interior brighter than older houses. The first floor is no longer just a storage space but large foyer which leads to rooms and offices. The lower floor connects to the upper story through a grand staircase. The upper floor has bedrooms flanking the living room. To the rear is the dining hall and kitchen. The upper story is made of wood with generous ventanillas that allow air to circulate throughout the house. The house has been furnished with furniture and appurtenances donated by various persons. Arranged as a lifestyle museum, Balay Negrense is also available for social functions, like wedding receptions.

Address: Cinco de Noviembre St.

Photos from Ivan Anthony S. Henares
Text from Panublion Heritage Site

Posted in Ancestral Houses, National Heritage Houses, Negros Occidental | 8 Comments »