Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Zamboanga City’ Category

Plaza Manila Building

Posted by admin on December 10, 2006

Posted in Commercial Buildings, Zamboanga City | Leave a Comment »

Bank of the Philippine Islands

Posted by admin on December 10, 2006

BPI in Zamboanga

Did you know that it was with the encouragement of an American general that the second branch of El Banco Español Filipino was established in Zamboanga? Gen. John J. Pershing, the famous American military governor of Zamboanga, encouraged the bank’s management to open a branch in that part of Mindanao. The branch was finally established in February 1912, a month after the bank was officially renamed “Bank of the Philippine Islands” (BPI). That branch of BPI was eventually designated by the insular government as the official depository of funds for the province of Zamboanga and of the Zamboanga custom house. Gen. Pershing chose to locate his official residence on the second floor of the BPI branch in Zamboanga City.

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Zamboanga City | Leave a Comment »

Taluksangay Mosque

Posted by admin on December 10, 2006

Posted in Mosques, Zamboanga City | 48 Comments »

Mercedes Central School

Posted by admin on December 10, 2006

Posted in Gabaldon Schoolhouses, Zamboanga City | 1 Comment »

Fort Pilar (Zamboanga City)

Posted by admin on August 7, 2006

The fort was built on June 23, 1635 by Father Melchor de Vera, a Jesuit Priest-Engineer, to ward off attacks from the moros and foreign invaders. Originally named the Real Fuerza de San Jose, it was renamed after it was rebuilt in 1719. The Real Fuerza de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza, whose statue was embossed on the east wall in 1734 as a frontpiece atop the entrance, was eventually sealed when it became a shrine.

Posted in Fortifications, National Cultural Treasures, Zamboanga City | 1 Comment »

Plaza Pershing (Zamboanga City)

Posted by admin on August 7, 2006

Posted in Town Plazas, Zamboanga City | 4 Comments »

Rizal Monument (Zamboanga City)

Posted by admin on August 7, 2006

Posted in Monuments, Town Plazas, Zamboanga City | Leave a Comment »

Zamboanga City Hall

Posted by admin on August 7, 2006

The construction of this Hispanic building started in 1905 and was completed in 1907 by the Federal Government of the United States for the American Governors of the area, which included Leonard O. Wood, Tasker H. Bliss, Ralph W. Hoyt, and John Pershing of World War I fame. Today it serves as the City Hall of Zamboanga, where the City Mayor holds office. It is located right at the heart of Zamboanga City.

Posted in City and Municipal Halls, Zamboanga City | Leave a Comment »