Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘Antique’ Category

Patnongon Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

One of three places where the Augustinians built a church and convento of stone and mortar, Patnongon has unfortunately lost its much of historic structures due to human agency.  Fray Manuel Asensio, appointed parish priest in 1860, commenced construction of the church.  The succeeding pastors, Sabas Fontecha (1872-89), Wenceslao Romero (1889) and Eustaquio Hera (1895) continued work on the complex and completed it.  Fray Joaquín Fernández designed and landscaped the church plaza in 1896.  Unfortunately, two yeas later the church was partially destroyed by revolucionarios.  Although the Mill Hill fathers repaired the convento, restoring its neoclassic lines, they demolished the remaining walls of the church, except for part of the façade, to make way for a school.

The existing historic remains at Patnongon and old pictures of the church show that both church and convento belonged to the neoclassical idiom.  The characteristics of both are shallow engaged pilasters, flat walls, pierced by arched windows.  The pilasters do not have proper capitals; in their place are horizontal bars of masonry.  The church represents a late colonial style characterized by greater simplicity and economy of ornamentation. (Panublion)

Advertisements

Posted in Antique, Churches | 6 Comments »

Hamtic Cemetery

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Posted in Antique, Cemeteries | 1 Comment »

Anini-y Church

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Anini-y has the only preserved colonial church in Antique.  This gem of a church is the third built in the town.  The first was probably built by Fray Hipólito Casiano, between 1630 and 38.  The church whose foundations still exist measured 33 x 13 meters.  A second church of much greater length but narrower at 48 x 12.5 meters was constructed close to the earlier church.  Work began around 1845.  Fray Vaquerín was responsible for completing the present complex, the convento in 1879 and the church, except for the arco toral, was almost completed when the Augustinian left. Vaquer�n’s church measured 65 x 16 meters, and had a height of 10 meters.

The convento was almost totally demolished during the world war, but the Mill Hill priest Fr. William Erickweld preserved the ruins while building a modern convento beside it.  In 1973, the church roof and back wall were damaged by a typhoon, but Fr. Erickweld took pains to restore the church.

The church belongs to 19th century revivalist styles, incorporating traditional elements from the Baroque like the triangular pediment, supported by a single story, divided into there sections by engaged pilaster.  Between the central pilasters is the arched entrance to this single-naved church, pleasingly decorated by rosettes.  Flanking the entrance are expanses of wall decorated by niches above, which are rose windows.  The pediment is likewise ornamented with a niche and flanking blind occuli.  The facade comes to an end in stout pilasters ornamented above with finials.  The three-story bell tower is attached to the church; its lowest floor is quadrilateral while the upper floors are hexagonal.  Arched windows pierce the tower and a domical roof crowns the whole structure. (Panublion)

Posted in Antique, Churches | 1 Comment »