Heritage Conservation Society

The online database is now at www.philippineheritage.com

Archive for the ‘National Historical Landmarks’ Category

MacArthur Landing Site (Palo)

Posted by admin on January 14, 2008

Advertisements

Posted in Leyte, Monuments, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Casa Gorordo (Cebu City)

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Casa Gorordo, built in the mid-19th century, was bought by Juan Isidro de Gorordo in 1863. Now under the Aboitiz Foundation, the house has been restored and outfitted as a house museum that showcases the elegant lifestyle at the turn of the century.

The house’s lower floor or zaguan, which traditionally served as a storage space, now houses the offices of the house museum, a small store and an area for art exhibitions. It is built of bituka tabliya (coral stone blocks) and roofed with tile. It has all the typical features of a bahay na bato (balay nga bato): wooden upper story, ventanillas, sliding capiz windows, etc. The second story is furnished with antique furniture and has a collection of costumes, books and memorabilia from the past. Worth noting is the master’s bedroom which displays a collection of sayas. A room in the residence was outfitted to become a chapel because a scion of the Gorordos, Juan (1862-1934), became first Filipino bishop of Cebu (1910-32). The bishop would use the chapel whenever he visited home. The chapel displays a pasyon manuscript in Cebuano. Another item in the house collection is an antique nativity set.

The dining room of the house is separated from the landing or caida and living room by an arch ornately carved with plants and birds. The kitchen at the end of the dining room or comedor is typical of the period. Atypical is the wide balcony or azotea, that runs the whole length of the dining room and kitchen. A trellis supports a bougainvillea plant, that is so large it is almost a tree.

The garden has been landscaped and a new service building, inspired by 19th century architecture, has been built beside Casa Gorordo. (Panublion)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Cebu, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Hermogenes Reyes House (Malolos)

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

The Reyes House in Malolos, Bulacan was built by the couple Hermogenes and Teodora Reyes in 1904. Located along Calle Electricidad (now F. T. Reyes Street), in Barangay Sto. Nino, just one block away from the Malolos Cathedral. Part of the “Malolos Heritage Town” National Historical Landmark. (Leo D. Cloma)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Bulacan, Historic Town Centers, National Historical Landmarks | 1 Comment »

Lino Reyes House (Malolos)

Posted by admin on January 13, 2008

Built by the couple Lino and Maria Reyes of Malolos, Bulacan, perhaps shortly after they were married in 1892. Progressively renovated and updated until the 1930s. The interiors appear to date mostly from the late 19th century, while the exterior, especially the roofline, seems more characteristic of the 1930s. Located along F. Estrella Street in the Malolos Poblacion, right across the side entrance of the Malolos Cathedral. Part of the “Malolos Heritage Town” in the NHI Index of Declared Historical Structures and Sites. (Leo D. Cloma)

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Bulacan, Historic Town Centers, National Historical Landmarks | 5 Comments »

Pan-ay Church

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Capiz, Churches, National Cultural Treasures, National Historical Landmarks | 2 Comments »

Sta. Barbara Church

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Churches, Iloilo, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Baler Church

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

It was the last Spanish garrison of four officers and fifty men sieged by Filipino insurgents on June 27, 1899. This is also where the La Campana de Baler, an ancient high quality bell, was used and later stored as a relic.

Posted in Aurora, Churches, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Rizal Park (Manila)

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Metro Manila, National Historical Landmarks, National Monuments, Parks | 1 Comment »

Elks Club (Ermita, Manila)

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Commercial Buildings, Metro Manila, National Historical Landmarks | Leave a Comment »

Bonifacio Trial House (Maragondon)

Posted by admin on September 26, 2007

Posted in Ancestral Houses, Cavite, National Historical Landmarks | 2 Comments »